Border Villages in Jammu Kashmir Rebuild After Pak Shelling

AhmadJunaidJ&KOctober 1, 2025418 Views





   

SRINAGAR: Months after suffering heavy damage in Pakistan shelling that followed the April 22 Pahalgam terror attack, villages along the Line of Control (LoC) and International Border are witnessing a revival of normal life, with residents celebrating peace through weddings, farming, and social gatherings.

The shelling, triggered after Indian armed forces destroyed nine terrorist camps in Pakistan and Pakistan-occupied Kashmir, caused loss of lives and widespread destruction in frontier areas. Hostilities ended only after Pakistan’s Director General of Military Operations reached out to his Indian counterpart seeking a cessation of fire, leading to a truce.

Since then, residents said that guns have fallen silent and life is gradually returning to routine. Villages including Keran, Machil, Bangus, Tangdhar, Gurez, and Uri are once again hosting marriage ceremonies within local homes, unlike in previous years when functions were shifted to safer locations. Farming, schooling, and sports activities have also resumed.

A family mourning the destruction of their home in Pakistani shelling during the heightened tensions between India and Pakistan in May 2025. Pic: Faisal Bashir

Razia Begum of Gurez, who recently got married, said families now organise weddings in their native villages without fear. “There was a time when we would stay indoors for days due to firing across the border. Now, people attend weddings in large numbers,” she said.

Farah Jan from Uri said the frequent ceasefire violations earlier discouraged gatherings. “People had stopped organising large functions, but over the past two years, things have changed,” she said.

Residents in Karnah, Machil, and Tangdhar shared similar accounts, describing how weddings that were once disrupted or turned into mourning are now celebrated with full community participation. “We remember those who lost their lives in the past, but now the atmosphere has changed,” said Shahbaz Ahmad of Karnah.

Farming too has seen a revival. “We are working in our fields as usual, and this season has been smooth for cultivation,” said Sajad Mir, a farmer from Tangdhar.

Sports are once again part of the daily routine for border youth. “We are holding local matches and tournaments again. Everyone is taking part actively, and it is good to see the energy back,” said 17-year-old Adil Lone from Gurez.

Adding to the recovery, the government has announced a relief initiative to provide 1,500 free smart homes to families whose houses were destroyed in the shelling. Locals in Poonch welcomed the plan, urging that construction begin quickly to offer timely relief.

“We hope the affected households can regain stability at the earliest,” said Abdul Rashid Khan, a resident of Poonch. (KNO)



0 Votes: 0 Upvotes, 0 Downvotes (0 Points)

Leave a reply

Loading Next Post...
Search Trending
Popular Now
Loading

Signing-in 3 seconds...

Signing-up 3 seconds...