Administration Imposes Curbs as 4 Killed In Ladakh Violence

AhmadJunaidJ&KSeptember 25, 2025416 Views





   

SRINAGAR: The Union Territory of Ladakh was on edge on Wednesday after violent protests broke out in Leh town during a shutdown called by the Leh Apex Body (LAB) over the Centre’s delay in holding “result-oriented” talks on demands for statehood and Sixth Schedule status. The unrest, which saw stone pelting, arson, and clashes outside the BJP office, prompted the district administration to impose sweeping restrictions under Section 163 of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS) 2023.

At least four people were killed and more than 60 others were injured as protests held by demonstrators demanding statehood and the inclusion of Ladakh under the Sixth Schedule turned violent.

District Magistrate Leh, Romil Singh Donk, said the measures were necessary in view of “apprehension of disturbances to public peace and tranquillity, danger to human life and a possibility of law and order problem.” The order prohibits rallies, processions, and public gatherings of more than five people, restricts the use of loudspeakers, and bans provocative statements. Violators face punitive action under Section 223 of the BNSS.

The protests escalated when LAB supporters assembled outside the BJP office to press their demands. Locals reported that the situation turned violent after police attempted to disperse the crowd, leading to stone pelting and retaliatory teargas shelling. Several vehicles were torched during the confrontation. The police have not yet issued an official statement on the incident.

The unrest comes against the backdrop of heightened tensions following the hospitalisation of two protesters who had been on a hunger strike since September 10 alongside prominent climate activist Sonam Wangchuk. On Wednesday, Wangchuk ended his three-week fast, citing the violence and the deteriorating health of his colleagues.

“If agitating youth are worried about the fasting protesters and expressing their anger, we have decided to end our fast,” Wangchuk said, while urging protesters to maintain peace. He appealed to the administration to stop using teargas and “any intimidation of youth,” and pressed the Centre to be “sensitive towards the demands of the region.”

Wangchuk has rejected the Ministry of Home Affairs’ announcement that a High-Powered Committee (HPC) will meet LAB and Kargil Democratic Alliance (KDA) leaders on October 6 in New Delhi, insisting on immediate talks. “People are getting impatient, and matters can go out of hand,” he warned earlier this week.

Meanwhile, the KDA, which represents a coalition of socio-political and religious organisations from Kargil, has announced a shutdown on Thursday in solidarity with LAB. The timing of the agitation is significant, coming weeks ahead of elections to the Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council (LAHDC), where the BJP currently holds power after winning the last polls in 2020.

The Centre, however, accused local leaders of deliberately provoking unrest. A senior government official, speaking anonymously, said, “The situation didn’t spiral on its own—it was engineered. The youth are not to be blamed; they were misled. This is the result of narrow politics and personal ambitions of Sonam Wangchuk, with Congress leaders also playing a role by making statements that almost sounded like instructions for violence.”

The official said the Centre had already fixed October 6 for the HPC meeting, had agreed to the inclusion of new members proposed by LAB, and was even considering advancing the talks to September 25–26. “Even with talks lined up with an open mind, violence was provoked. Why? This episode smacks of conspiracy motivated by politics and personal gain,” the source alleged.

Chief Minister Omar Abdullah drew a contrast between the situation in Ladakh and Jammu and Kashmir, saying that while Ladakh accepted its Union Territory status in 2019 without any expectation of statehood, the people of Jammu and Kashmir continue to feel frustrated and betrayed over the unfulfilled promise of restoring statehood.

In a post on X, Omar wrote that Ladakh “had not been promised statehood and they celebrated their UT status. Now imagine the sense of betrayal and disappointment in Jammu and Kashmir, where people have been demanding statehood democratically, peacefully and responsibly, yet it remains unfulfilled.”

He linked the ongoing agitation in Leh, which has led authorities to impose restrictions under Section 163 of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita, 2023, to anger over long-pending demands. He added that J&K’s demand for statehood is not just emotional but grounded in constitutional rights and democratic principles.

Reiterating his point, Omar said, “Ladakh wasn’t even promised statehood, they celebrated UT status in 2019 and they feel betrayed and angry. Now try to imagine how betrayed and disappointed we in J&K feel when the promise of statehood remains unfulfilled even though we have gone about demanding it democratically, peacefully and responsibly.”

While the Centre insists it is committed to Ladakh’s welfare and youth empowerment, the latest violence has deepened the trust deficit between Leh’s protest leaders and New Delhi. With the demand for statehood and Sixth Schedule protection gaining momentum, the coming weeks — especially the run-up to the LAHDC elections — are likely to prove decisive for the future of Ladakh’s political landscape.





0 Votes: 0 Upvotes, 0 Downvotes (0 Points)

Leave a reply

Loading Next Post...
Search Trending
Popular Now
Loading

Signing-in 3 seconds...

Signing-up 3 seconds...